Wednesday, May 27, 2015

*FOR TEACHERS* INTROUCE YOURSELF & ALPHABET - FRIENDS



This class is a follow-up of Useful expressions and food vocabulary. Also, it is the first class I'll use the book Super Minds 1 by Cambridge. Even if you're not using the book, there is lots of ideas you can get from here.


ACTIVITY 1 - WARM-UP (10'): WRITE WORDS WITH THE ALPHABET

As in the previous lesson, I was working with food vocabulary, I'm going to ask the Students to use the wooden alphabet to write their favorite food. Then I'll have students walk around the classroom in pairs asking their partners "Do you like + food item?". Their partners should use the structure "Yes, I do." and "No, I don't." to answer.

For this activity, I'm going to use a wooden alphabet. You can use a few sets of the alphabet flashcards by esl-kids.com alternatively.

ACTIVITY 2 -INTRODUCING NEW FRIENDS - SUPER MINDS 10'

I'm going to introduce the book Super Minds 1 by Cambridge to my students and its first 2 pages introduce the book four main characters. The language focus is "What's your name?", "Hi, I'm ...", numbers from 1 to 10 and "I'm + age".

Before I show the book, I'm going to tell students they'll listen to a dialog where four kids will introduce themselves. I'll place the kids flashcards on the table and tell them to guess as they listen to the audio pointing to the kids. Then we'll open their books to check their answers. We'll do exercises 1 and 2 on page 5 in the book.

ACTIVITY 3 -ABOUT ME 20'

First, I'll use the About me - what's your name worksheet. Students are supposed to do this activity individually. They can look at their books to complete the sentences. When they are finished they can compare their answers and help who hasn't finished yet.



https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Nbz2AwNOPkIZDnNDGb5yA2dThUDUpiuK60ckvjePzfU/edit?usp=sharing


Then tell students to pick a character from Super Minds and introduce themselves as this character. The dialog structure should be:

A: Hi, I'm + character name. What's your name?
B: Hi, I'm + character name.
A: What a nice name! How old are you?
B: I'm + character's age. How old are you?
A: I'm + character's age.

You can have students help you come up with this dialog structure and write it on the board.

ACTIVITY 4 - THE ALPHABET SONG 10'

I'll use the wooden alphabet one more time, but this time I'll have students put it in alphabetical order. Then we will listen to the song on page 6. Alternatively, pay We are the Alphabet on YouTube.

Finally, I'll pick some letters randomly to ask students how to say the letter in English.

ACTIVITY 5 - CONNECT THE ALPHABET 10'

Play Connect alphabet by Hello World an interactive online game. I'd do one round each kid connecting the letters myself and having the student tell me which letter. Then I'd let student by student come to the computer / interactive board / IPad do it while the other students tell them which letter to click.


ACTIVITY 6 - COLORS 5'

Do activities on page 7 of Student's books to practice the colors: yellow, red, orange, purple, green, blue.

ASSIGN HOMEWORK

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1czMI14EpW75ENaA3ILGRy9_8LbpYK_Tnyvy2Y_8GuFA/edit?usp=sharing

Go to Lessons with Super Minds
Go to Teacher Section