Thursday, May 14, 2015

*FOR TEACHERS* ALPHABET AND LIKES & DISLIKES - DO YOU LIKE BROCCOLI ICE CREAM?


Ever since I moved back to São Paulo, I have been teaching kids. In my first lesson, we covered school supply. Now I decided to cover the alphabet as well as talk about likes and dislikes. The thing is, I don't want to just teach vocabulary, which kids seem to memorize easily without a problem; I want the kids I teach to be able to use sentences and chunks to communicate in English right away and in every class.

For this lesson, I have used materials from supersimplelearning.com and esl-kids.com as well as some material I have devised myself.

Check below the step-by-step for this class and click on the links to access each material:

ACTIVITY 1 - WARM UP (10'): Play the letter bingo

As to review the alphabet, use the alphabet flashcards and the bingo cards to play a few rounds of bingo. You  may start by calling out the cards and then pick students to do it.

other material necessary: beans

ACTIVITY 2 - TAP THE LETTER (10')

Make a pile with all the alphabet flashcards facing down. Pick one by one while chanting the alphabet with students. If the same letter is said and shown, everyone has to try to tap it. Whoever does it first, gets all the cards.

If you think this may  become a huge mess, you can have the students pick the cards in turns. Meanwhile, you all chant the alphabet. If a student picks the same letter that was said, they get all the cards.

ACTIVITY 3 - WHAT DO YOU LIKE? (10')

Go over the pictures in the alphabet cards asking students whether they like it or not. Prompt students to say "Yes, I do." and "No, I don't." Make two piles of likes and dislikes. Prompt students to talk about things they like and don't like and ask if they can think of anything bizarre they like to eat.

ACTIVITY 4 - DO YOU LIKE BROCCOLI ICE CREAM? (20')

Play the video Do you like broccoli ice cream and ask Students to circle in their worksheet the things they like. Have students compare their answers saying "I like ..." and "I don't like." Have students do the next exercise in their worksheet as to focus on the question structure "Do you like ...?" and answers "Yes, I do." and "No, I don't." Assign the last exercise as homework. Next, use the flashcards to prompt students to ask and answer the questions to each other.

ACTIVITY 5 - HANGMAN (10')

Have students choose food items from the "Do you like broccoli ice cream" flashcard set and trace each letter space on the paper. Then have them use the alphabet flashcards to play hangman.